The most famous house of ill-repute in history, the Everleigh Club, operated at 2131-33 S. Dearborn St., now the site of the Hilliard Towers. Little is known with certainty regarding the history of Minna and Ada Everleigh, the Madams of the house. At times they claimed to have been born in Kentucky or Virginia, to have been married to an abusive set of brothers in Missouri, to have been reared by their father, a famous attorney, and to have traveled the country with a vaudeville show. In later years, a woman claiming to be their niece wrote that they were sold into prostitution by their parents, having lost everything in the aftermath of the Civil War.
Whatever their history, they operated the Everleigh Club between 1897 and 1911 as the Queens of the Levee, and catered to most of the leading men of Chicago, as well as visiting royalty (literally, in one case) from abroad, including Marshall Field, Jr., who died under mysterious circumstances after being a guest here.
The Club had a sold-gold piano and one of the nation's top chefs catered meals in a replica Pullman dining car inside. The entry fee was $50, and few men left without spending three or four times that much in a night.
The location would be near the entrance to the Hilliard Towers Apartment Homes, a renovated public housing project built in the 1960s.