Saturday, October 11, 2008
The Maxwell Street district, termed "Bloody Maxwell" by the Chicago Tribune, was the chief breeding ground for criminals during the 19th and early 20th century in Chicago.
Most of those criminals ended up at one time or another, here, at the 22nd precinct police station at the corner of Maxwell and Morgan St. During its heyday as a terror district, the station was surrounded on all sides by "corners, saloons, and houses that have seen the rise, the operations, and often the death of some of the worst criminals the land has ever known," according to the Tribune.
Likely the newspaper had in mind Dead Man's Corner, located just two blocks away from the station.
Built in 1888, the station was in continued use by the Chicago police for over 100 years. Fans of the 1980s hit television series Hill Street Blues will recognize the station from the opening credits.
Today, the station is still in use by police as the headquarters for security at the University of Illinois at Chicago.